Toyota Repair/Brakes

I have a 2015 Rav 4 with 15K miles and the front brakes are getting borderline, the dealer advised the pads are down to about 5 mm. I drive in a lot of heavy stop and go traffic so I am not surprised. The rep told me they should be OK for another 5K miles but then I will need a brake repair, the dealer estimate for new front pads is $319. Does this seem high? With some older cars I own, I have used a chain repair shop called Mavis and their price for brakes is probably one third of the dealer. What is your opinion on the quality of these non-dealer chain shops? Mavis offers lifetime replacement on pads, just pay the labor. This particular mavis shop I have used never tried to oversell repairs. I know some of the chains do that. What is your opinion? thanks

the dealer will or at least should resurface the rotors and use OEM brake pads that will cost you around $90. the rest is labor time which is usually about 2 hours or about $240, the $319 seems a little high unless they are going to replace the discs, so I don't know if they are including something else that may not be necessary, go with the independent shop and use the best brake pads they have available, make sure rotor resurfacing is included and don't let them upsell you anything else  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems