Toyota Repair/1998 Toyota Transmission

Question
Hello, again, Mr. Ritter!;
You had previously helped me with my question about the transmission in my 98 Tacoma.  I did as you suggested and had a refurbished transmission installed.  The difference is outstanding!  This unit shifts so smoothly I can hardly tell when it happens.  Thanks for the advice.

I have this question for you now:  this transmission, unlike the other one (and trans. in other cars) does not shift into passing gear.  I am just wondering if this could be something simple (like a missing vacuum line perhaps).  I assume that it should downshift into the passing gear, but I don't know.   I would appreciate your insight (once again..!)   Thanks much!

- Mike

Answer
hello, down shifting and shift point up shifts are done with throttle pressure in the valve body, it should have a cable attached to the throttle body right near the throttle cable, you can see that it goes down to the transmission, this cable has an adjustment nut and a threaded rod , try to adjust the cable tighter, loosen the nut and move it back a about 1/8" or so. some model transmissions did not have this cable so if it doesn't let me know then I will need the transmission ID designation, you can find this at the sticker that has the VIN on it, it will say something like A340, A340E or A140.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter