Toyota Repair/generalized info:cleaning the fuel injectors

I'm getting different stories about whether the fuel injectors can/should be cleaned or not. Some say if an injector goes "bad", it's bad & cleaning it wont help. So what part(s) go bad? I can test the electrical for current and that SHOULD be the first step, right? One mechanic told me to replace all the injectors but didnt even test them.

I just did a complete tune-up, including fuel and air filter, plugs, wires. It was showing a #3 misfire. After clearing the codes and driving it, things improved quite a bit but the check engine light came back on. #3 misfire.

I put some heavy duty "injector cleaner" in the gas, but if it's true that it's a waste of money to have them cleaned, that means all these fuel additives are a big rip-off!  I was told I can get an "in-vehicle" cleaning done for $100 at a shop. Would they also be ripping me off?

There are quite a few answers I need.

Hello, if a fuel injector develops a problem there's no sense in "cleaning"it, most likely it needs to be replaced since the problem is probably electromechanical, the injectors can develop high resistance which can cause intermittent sticking, don't waste your money on cleaning or additives, most decent gasolines already have injector cleaning compounds, find the real problem for the misfire. Don't pay $100 for some guy to put a can of injector cleaner in the tank, clean the throttle body and pour some chemical in the intake which won't even go through the injectors. Let me know what year and model and which engine you have and I may be able to give you some specific information and how to test the injectors without removing them and again , it may not be an injector, could be another reason for the engine misfire.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems