Track & Field/Shot and Discus sector's

I want to double check on the sector lines that we put in a couple of weeks ago.  Another coach did it and not clear how he did it.  From the center of the ring go out 100 yards then go across 60 yards and that is where the other sector line goes?  Does this sound right?  We are in California 34.9 degrees for both shot and discus.

The ratio is sound.  The rule provides (in meters) that ten meters out from the center of the circle is established as six meters (or feet, yards). More practical is the ratio of five out and three across.  When providing such a venue we went out fifty and thirty across.  I would suggest that being certain of the reasonable distance to anticipate competitors to reach (or slightly more).  It is easier to have records where the line is still evident to help officials to avoid confusion where records land and particularly in discus landings which tend to skip or slide leaving less obvious marks.  

I hope this helps.  It applies in examples in both NFHS and NCAA rules.   Dick Howland

Track & Field

Richard Howland

I am a master USATF Track and Field official and can answer questions about officiating high school (NFHS), college (NCAA), National (USATF) and international in field events. I am not a coach except for other officials. My specialties are the Field events except pole vault.

I delight in meeting athletes from all backgrounds and ages. I have even officiated field events for a one hundred year old long jumper as well as many "Master" and "Senior" athletes. Special olympics is a great event for officials to volunteer and see the essence of good sport on the faces of the athletes. After thirty three years as a trial lawyer in Massachusetts with a focus on sports law, among others, I retired and devote much of my time to officiating. I referee soccer, time football, officiate swimming and diving, and officiate and start all events in track and field. My special focus in field events. In high school and college I played soccer, squash and lacrosse, but track was not available in any depth then. Since I was a lawyer I began officiating and training to officiate sports which I could fit into my schedule. I honestly do not remember when I first started track and field officiating, but estimate that I have been very active for at least fifteen years. I regularly officiate all events and levels.