Track & Field/Shuttle Hurdle Relays

Question
On an 8 lane track, Team A is running in lanes 1 &2, Team B is in Lanes 3 & 4 and, so on.  Does it make any difference what lanes A1 go down the track and A 2 comes back.  Same for other teams in the section.

Answer
Robert:

All lanes should measure exactly the same distance measured along the infield edge from start line to finish line.  When a curve is included in the race then the start line in each lane should be staggered.  The objective is that each competitor runs exactly the same distance measured along the runner's left side.

Since individuals do not run or stride identically, the actual distance covered may vary within small limits.  This is irrelevant when the shuttle races are all run along the straightaway the distances should not cause any measurable variation as all lanes would be equal.  Of course the answer applies to all lanes involved in the race both ways.  I hope this answer is helpful to you.  Good luck, Dick Howland  

Track & Field

Richard Howland