Track & Field/Masters Training Schedule

Hi There,
I am a 55 year old Male with average to good to average sprinting speed. My friend all tell me that I should compete in official track meets. I would like to know what type of training schedule I can follow in order to become better and stronger so that I can start competing in official races. I am reasonably fit and I like to work out. Can you help me out with a training schedule if I wanted to compete in the 100, 200 and 400meter sprints? I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you so much for reading this mail.

I am an official and not a coach so I am not the right person to ask  your questions.  Better choices are USATF (USA Track and Field) which is glad to help and knows how and runs most organized programs. Many cities and towns have track and running clubs which are people like us who are older and need to be careful about our health and risks.  You may find a local school or college with track teams who can also guide you better than I.  Please look locally for people who can help you easily for you both.  Good luck, Dick Howland

Track & Field

Richard Howland

I am a master USATF Track and Field official and can answer questions about officiating high school (NFHS), college (NCAA), National (USATF) and international in field events. I am not a coach except for other officials. My specialties are the Field events except pole vault.

I delight in meeting athletes from all backgrounds and ages. I have even officiated field events for a one hundred year old long jumper as well as many "Master" and "Senior" athletes. Special olympics is a great event for officials to volunteer and see the essence of good sport on the faces of the athletes. After thirty three years as a trial lawyer in Massachusetts with a focus on sports law, among others, I retired and devote much of my time to officiating. I referee soccer, time football, officiate swimming and diving, and officiate and start all events in track and field. My special focus in field events. In high school and college I played soccer, squash and lacrosse, but track was not available in any depth then. Since I was a lawyer I began officiating and training to officiate sports which I could fit into my schedule. I honestly do not remember when I first started track and field officiating, but estimate that I have been very active for at least fifteen years. I regularly officiate all events and levels.