Track & Field/100 meter sprint

Question
Hi
I wanted to ask about the 100 meter sprint. My son is 17 years old and sprints the 100 meter in 12.40 seconds. This without any training at all. He loves running and is willing to train hard. My question, since i am not from the united states is, Which colleges in new York are available in coaching for sprinters. My son wants to go to college in new York, and we are looking for one that can offer him potential of training in tracking. thank you.

Answer
Your son's time is a good time for someone who hasn't trained in the 100 meter but it may be a bit slow for the college level. Any New York University that has a track and field program would very likely have sprinting coaches on the team your son could use. I'm not familiar with the schools in that area but, the collegiate track and field level is very competitive so it's quite likely there would be good sprints coaches in many of the schools in New York that have track programs. I would further investigate which schools you're looking at and contact them to personally see which one would be a good fit and to ascertain whether your son is sprinting quick enough to be eligible to join their track team.

best of luck.  

Track & Field

Byron Collyer