Tractor Repair/Farmall "A" steering problem

Question
I can rotate my steering wheel one half turn before the gears in the steering box start to engage. I have read the manual which states that the steering is non-adjustable. Is there any way I can shim the worm gear or sector to take the slack out of the gear box? If not, what parts will I need to order to make the necessary repairs?

Thanks

Answer
Emerson, shimming the box is NOT a good idea....you'll be better off by far replacing the worm gear or rack....or both. Check to see exactly where the wear is, Make SURE your steering arms are nice and tight, take up any slack in them if possible.....here is a good source for parts: http://www.steinertractor.com/International-Farmall-A  Or, you can try eBay as well....there are many parts available. Good luck!

Tractor Repair

Taylor