Tractor Repair/Farmall "A" steering problem

I can rotate my steering wheel one half turn before the gears in the steering box start to engage. I have read the manual which states that the steering is non-adjustable. Is there any way I can shim the worm gear or sector to take the slack out of the gear box? If not, what parts will I need to order to make the necessary repairs?

Emerson, shimming the box is NOT a good'll be better off by far replacing the worm gear or rack....or both. Check to see exactly where the wear is, Make SURE your steering arms are nice and tight, take up any slack in them if is a good source for parts:  Or, you can try eBay as well....there are many parts available. Good luck!

Tractor Repair

I can answer most questions about tractor repair and implement repair. I have 35 years experience in ranching/farming, and have worked on a variety of tractors and implements, from light to heavy. I do all my own mechanical work.

I have been in the ranching/farming field for 35+ years and have used MANY different types of equipment

I have an M.Sc. in Physics.