Tractor Repair/656 hydrostaticf4rg

I have a 656 hydro when u go to reverse it wants to go foward. It went from working fine to not working at all.

Doug, there are 2 scenarios here. First, you might have a linkage problem that is causing this, but that's not likely. You should change your hydrostat filter and replace the hydrostatic fluid and check to see if that cures the problem. If not, there is something in the hydrostat valve body that is broken or jammed.....and this may indicate changing a clutch pack as well. Try the simplest solutions first.....and good luck. The 656 hydrostat is arguably one of the best IH tractors ever made, it's worth it to keep it running,

Tractor Repair

I can answer most questions about tractor repair and implement repair. I have 35 years experience in ranching/farming, and have worked on a variety of tractors and implements, from light to heavy. I do all my own mechanical work.

I have been in the ranching/farming field for 35+ years and have used MANY different types of equipment

I have an M.Sc. in Physics.