You are here:

Tractor Repair/Crankseals


I have a 1955 Ford 860 Ser# 32345 172 C.I. engine that I have to replace the front and rear crankshaft seals. My question, can this be done by removing the oil pan or does the engine need to be removed from the tractor? Thank you for your help.

Dave, you CAN replace the crank seals by dropping the oil pan, CAREFULLY propping the crankshaft, unbolting the connecting rods, unbolting and backing off the transmission a short distance, and then dropping the crankshaft and replacing the seals. BE CAREFUL. This is a job for good jack stands, and CAUTION. Make sure everything is properly cradled so nothing falls down.  

Tractor Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer most questions about tractor repair and implement repair. I have 35 years experience in ranching/farming, and have worked on a variety of tractors and implements, from light to heavy. I do all my own mechanical work.


I have been in the ranching/farming field for 35+ years and have used MANY different types of equipment

I have an M.Sc. in Physics.

©2017 All rights reserved.