Tractor Repair/IH 784 won't start

The tractor has always started in the past and now it won't start. I turned the key once and it started to turn over briefly but then dead silence. Now I turn the key and nothing happens at all. The battery is fully charged. The lights come on, the gauges come on, but there is no response to turning the key. How do I figure out what is wrong and what can I do to fix this?

P.S. Not mechanically inclined at all. Help, the snow is getting deeper and I need to plow!

Hi Dan....this is likely a starter solenoid, which should be located on the starter body....OR, the Bendix gear in the starter is stuck...loosen the starterthen re-tighten and see if it works. Otherwise, replace the solenoid and you should be OK, provided your wiring is.

Tractor Repair

I can answer most questions about tractor repair and implement repair. I have 35 years experience in ranching/farming, and have worked on a variety of tractors and implements, from light to heavy. I do all my own mechanical work.

I have been in the ranching/farming field for 35+ years and have used MANY different types of equipment

I have an M.Sc. in Physics.