Traditional Catholics/Upon death - heaven or wait until Resurrection?

I need clarification on when someone dies, can they automatically go to heaven or do they have to wait for the Resurrection that will come?

After death comes the Judgment.  Each soul is judged by God right after death, a judgment between the soul and God alone.  At the end of time, the judgment of each is presented to all that all might know the reasons and wisdom of God's judgments.
There are three basic outcomes of the first of these two judgments, one being either will go to Heaven or else to Hell.  But those going to Heaven in almost all cases have at least some Purgatory to go through, though some saintly souls would skip this intermediate stage.
Now, all of this happens with them as non-corporeal beings (whatever that would be like - that, I must admit, I have no idea at all), until the end of time as we know it.  Then comes the resurrection in which our bodies are raised up.  Purgatory is done away with as anyone present therein at that time goes to Heaven directly, their stay in Purgatory completed.
With our bodies, we are either rewarded or punished.  If they be in Heaven (directly, or after completing their Purgatory stay) they will "see" God, though that must be directly from mind to mind or heart to heart.  Once having bodies (after the resurrection) they will have eyes even as the risen Christ had eyes and so forth, but as the Scripture states, "eye has not seen" what wonders God has laid up for humanity.
Hope this helps, God bless.

Traditional Catholics

Griff Ruby

I focus on the "why" and "how" questions of the Faith and one`s need for the Church to overcome sin, live the life God wishes us, and to become what God wants us to be. My areas of expertise are particularly in the areas of practical morality, theology, Scripture, history, and personal problems and dilemmas that people face. It is important to bring a sense of proportion to the recent and current ecclesiastical situation that makes necessary having to add the clarification "traditional" to "Catholic," for a "traditional Catholic" today is simply what anyone would have called a "Catholic" only 60 years ago, and so on clear back to the beginning. I seek to provide insight and information such that you are then able to see for yourself the answer to your questions. Homework problems and trivia questions may be refused, and I am not interested in using Allexperts as a debating forum.

Years of extensive research, thought, and prayerful meditation on many of the issues that trouble Catholics today, taught catechetical classes to teenagers and adults, answered many questions already as Allexperts volunteer in Catholics category.

Legion of Mary, Knights of Columbus

Book: The Resurrection of the Roman Catholic Church Articles published in: DailyCatholic, The Four Marks

I have an Engineering degree from University of California, Santa Barbara, however this obviously has extremely little bearing on my expertise here other than to document the level of my education in general.

I have been an Allexperts volunteer in the category of Catholics since at least as far back as 2001, having answered over 800 questions from over 600 different people.