Traditional Catholics/Church past and present

I have often asked people who were Catholics before Vatican II whether they prefer the church now or then. In every case they have said 'now.' How can you explain this?

Depends on who you ask.  One big part of the problem is that the new religion really is much more convenient and easy.  It makes no challenging moral or personal demands on anyone, has reduced penitential exercises to a near-nullity, and lets you think anything you want to think, true or false, as meets your fancy.
One thing you won't find in the Novus Ordo is any truly great and heroic saints.  There are nice people of course, no different than can be found in any church you can think of, but that is not the same thing.
Another thing to consider is where you have been finding these people to ask.  If you find them at your local Novus Ordo outlet, then many of them really are there by choice, as many more than used to be know that the old Church still survives today (in traditional Catholic Parishes and Mass Centers), but they have already shown their preference by where they go.  Perhaps if you would ask people who go to real Catholic Masses and who remember the old days and which they prefer you might get a dramatically different answer.
One other thing to consider is that many of those who were around don't remember all that well, and are easily misled by those who exaggurate the supposed narrowness and crampedness of the old Church, and tell them every day how much better things are today.  But it's all just Orwellian newspeak.  It's just "Great news:  Choco-rations have gone up to 20 grams a week" when it had been 25 grams a week just previous.  Yes, that kind of psychological manipulation really works and that many people really are that stupid.  Yes, the new religion is easier, but so much of all of what religion itself is all about has been stripped out so that there really is no point in bothering to go.

Traditional Catholics

Griff Ruby

I focus on the "why" and "how" questions of the Faith and one`s need for the Church to overcome sin, live the life God wishes us, and to become what God wants us to be. My areas of expertise are particularly in the areas of practical morality, theology, Scripture, history, and personal problems and dilemmas that people face. It is important to bring a sense of proportion to the recent and current ecclesiastical situation that makes necessary having to add the clarification "traditional" to "Catholic," for a "traditional Catholic" today is simply what anyone would have called a "Catholic" only 60 years ago, and so on clear back to the beginning. I seek to provide insight and information such that you are then able to see for yourself the answer to your questions. Homework problems and trivia questions may be refused, and I am not interested in using Allexperts as a debating forum.

Years of extensive research, thought, and prayerful meditation on many of the issues that trouble Catholics today, taught catechetical classes to teenagers and adults, answered many questions already as Allexperts volunteer in Catholics category.

Legion of Mary, Knights of Columbus

Book: The Resurrection of the Roman Catholic Church Articles published in: DailyCatholic, The Four Marks

I have an Engineering degree from University of California, Santa Barbara, however this obviously has extremely little bearing on my expertise here other than to document the level of my education in general.

I have been an Allexperts volunteer in the category of Catholics since at least as far back as 2001, having answered over 800 questions from over 600 different people.