Traditional Catholics/Baptism

QUESTION: Hello Griff, is it a sin to make profit?
If somebody's career is an antique dealer which revolves around buying old "stuff" and then selling it for more than they bought it for is this sinful?

Furthermore what if somebody were to buy a rare item, but the seller did not know it was rare. Is it then sinful to still buy it for the price he wants but then to go ahead and sell it for more money?

Thank you and God bless.

ANSWER: I have not heard that any of those things are a sin.  Only if you have information regarding an item for sale to the effect that it was stolen might there be a concern to see to it that it is restored to its owner, or due compensation to be given, and in such a case due compensation would be gauged to its true value (as best known).

QUESTION: can anyone baptize someone?

Just about, in an emergency (one to be baptized is dying or about to die and wishes or has expressed a wish to be baptised, or is not likely to have access to a valid and lawful cleric to perform it within a reasonable period).  The restrictions are as minimal as possible.  The one doing the baptism need only be a human person physically present other than the one to be baptized, who has attained the use of reason, and is willing to perform this with the intention "to do what the Church does."  So this would exclude baptism performed by infants or mental idiots (in the medical sense), trained chimpanzies or other animals, robotic devices, anyone attempting it via remote control, anyone who might deliberately withhold a valid intention (e. g. someone who would rather see you burn in hell and is unscrupulous enough to go through the motions of the sacrament without any valid intention just to fool others), and finally the one performing the sacrament of baptism cannot be the one being baptized.
So while there are exceptions, it really can be performed by just about anyone, even by people who are themselves not baptized or don't believe the Faith.  Two pagans stranded together alone on a desert island could baptize each other, providing only that the information as to why and how to do it nevertheless finds its way to them and they choose to recieve it and the God it makes them partakers of.  Baptism, if at all desired, really must be obtained from the Church (by a cleric) if at all possible, or at least from anyone validly possible if a baptism by a cleric of the Church is not expected to be possible before the one seeking baptism will die; only if genuinely impossible does it become relevant to speak of Baptism of Blood (holy martyrdom of one not baptized in water) or Baptism of Desire (anyone choosing to be baptised but for whom no baptism is arranged or can be performed before death).

Traditional Catholics

Griff Ruby

I focus on the "why" and "how" questions of the Faith and one`s need for the Church to overcome sin, live the life God wishes us, and to become what God wants us to be. My areas of expertise are particularly in the areas of practical morality, theology, Scripture, history, and personal problems and dilemmas that people face. It is important to bring a sense of proportion to the recent and current ecclesiastical situation that makes necessary having to add the clarification "traditional" to "Catholic," for a "traditional Catholic" today is simply what anyone would have called a "Catholic" only 60 years ago, and so on clear back to the beginning. I seek to provide insight and information such that you are then able to see for yourself the answer to your questions. Homework problems and trivia questions may be refused, and I am not interested in using Allexperts as a debating forum.

Years of extensive research, thought, and prayerful meditation on many of the issues that trouble Catholics today, taught catechetical classes to teenagers and adults, answered many questions already as Allexperts volunteer in Catholics category.

Legion of Mary, Knights of Columbus

Book: The Resurrection of the Roman Catholic Church Articles published in: DailyCatholic, The Four Marks

I have an Engineering degree from University of California, Santa Barbara, however this obviously has extremely little bearing on my expertise here other than to document the level of my education in general.

I have been an Allexperts volunteer in the category of Catholics since at least as far back as 2001, having answered over 800 questions from over 600 different people.