Traditional Catholics/anime and manga

QUESTION: Hello good sir. I watch a lot of anime and read a decent amount of manga. I was wondering if it is sinful to do so and if so I cant imagine it could be considered mortally sinful correct? Thank you a lot and have a good Easter when it comes.

ANSWER: Morality connects to content, not style.  Anime is only a cartoon drawing style, originally favored in the Orient, but having become popular in many other places.  I have no idea what manga is.  Cartoons that portray nudity or salacious things or else advocate violence or hate or crime or religious error are always sinful, regardless of the drawing style used, whereas those that don't are morally neutral, or could even be praisworthy if used to advocate noble and high ideals and truth.

QUESTION: Okay makes sense. I was wondering though what is wrong with watching violent things? Obviously not like gory horror movies and stuff but what if the violence is there to simply compliment the story or plot. If someone watches something violent than they might be tempted to sin violently. I know myself though and I know I would not give into any temptation like that. So is it just violence in general or just meaningless disgusting violence? One of my favorite shows is a show called "Attack on Titan" and the story line has humans fighting against these monsters because they are evil and they are trying to kill the humans. It is a pretty violent show. But its not just meaningless stupid violence. Its mostly self defense. So i don't really understand, were not allowed to watch anything violent? Thank you sir!

I didn't say that something violent can't be watched, only that pointless violence ends up being about the violence itself whereas some things could be about something else, to which the violence is merely incidental, or else the result of sin (as a moral lesson), or at least what must happen in at least some sense when there is sin.
I do recall an account from the ancient days of Christians and lions and Roman gladiators and so forth when the Church forbid the watching of the gladiatorial games.  There was this person who, following his conscience, refused invitations from friends and family to attend the viewing of such games.  But one day they finally prevaled upon him to come and see, and once he saw he was hooked, utterly forgetting his Christian obligations.  Anything that takes us from that is trouble, but if it doesn't then that would be something else, more a matter of individual conscience.  Observe its effects on you, regarding your spiritual duties.  If there is no impact, then fine, but otherwise then either limit it carefully or eliminated it, as situation warrants.
Hope this helps, sorry for the delay, God bless.

Traditional Catholics

Griff Ruby

I focus on the "why" and "how" questions of the Faith and one`s need for the Church to overcome sin, live the life God wishes us, and to become what God wants us to be. My areas of expertise are particularly in the areas of practical morality, theology, Scripture, history, and personal problems and dilemmas that people face. It is important to bring a sense of proportion to the recent and current ecclesiastical situation that makes necessary having to add the clarification "traditional" to "Catholic," for a "traditional Catholic" today is simply what anyone would have called a "Catholic" only 60 years ago, and so on clear back to the beginning. I seek to provide insight and information such that you are then able to see for yourself the answer to your questions. Homework problems and trivia questions may be refused, and I am not interested in using Allexperts as a debating forum.

Years of extensive research, thought, and prayerful meditation on many of the issues that trouble Catholics today, taught catechetical classes to teenagers and adults, answered many questions already as Allexperts volunteer in Catholics category.

Legion of Mary, Knights of Columbus

Book: The Resurrection of the Roman Catholic Church Articles published in: DailyCatholic, The Four Marks

I have an Engineering degree from University of California, Santa Barbara, however this obviously has extremely little bearing on my expertise here other than to document the level of my education in general.

I have been an Allexperts volunteer in the category of Catholics since at least as far back as 2001, having answered over 800 questions from over 600 different people.