Traditional Catholics/Relativism

What did Pope Benedict really mean by this quote.

We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires.

As I do not have access to the context of the quote, nor any special insight into the man's thought processes, I can only comment on this statement in a general way.

Realitivism is a malosophy (opposite of philosophy) that there is no real or objective truth but only each individual person's perceptions which may all contradict each other and none is more "true" or "right" than any contrary perception as there is (at least for all intents and purposes) no actual truth "out there" for any perception to conform with or not.

We live in a modern society that, in the supposed interest of "respecting" all persons by not disagreeing with anyone seriously, does this by denying (at least implicitly) the reality of anything beyond our actual "perceptions."  In such a society, the Gospel has no claim on anyone since all beliefs are equally to be regarded as acceptable.  One cannot say that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life without also allowing that everyone and everything else is also the way, the truth, and the life, which is of course absolute nonsense and the absolute negation of the Gospel.  It is a basis for persecuting any Christian as being a "bed person" because they won't recognize the "value" of anyone's or everyone's crazy talk as being just as good as the Gospel, if not actually better for being more tolerant.

Relativism really is the door to all manner of truly barbarous dictatorship since, without any outside or objective right and wrong, the only "right" remaining is that which can get itself backed up with brute strength, "might."  In such a Hitlerian view, Christians can be put to death, worked to death, or used for sadistic medical experiments since there is no greater "right" than that of the State, the greatest "might" on earth.

So, at least in that sense, the comment he made is a valid and telling one.

Traditional Catholics

Griff Ruby

I focus on the "why" and "how" questions of the Faith and one`s need for the Church to overcome sin, live the life God wishes us, and to become what God wants us to be. My areas of expertise are particularly in the areas of practical morality, theology, Scripture, history, and personal problems and dilemmas that people face. It is important to bring a sense of proportion to the recent and current ecclesiastical situation that makes necessary having to add the clarification "traditional" to "Catholic," for a "traditional Catholic" today is simply what anyone would have called a "Catholic" only 60 years ago, and so on clear back to the beginning. I seek to provide insight and information such that you are then able to see for yourself the answer to your questions. Homework problems and trivia questions may be refused, and I am not interested in using Allexperts as a debating forum.

Years of extensive research, thought, and prayerful meditation on many of the issues that trouble Catholics today, taught catechetical classes to teenagers and adults, answered many questions already as Allexperts volunteer in Catholics category.

Legion of Mary, Knights of Columbus

Book: The Resurrection of the Roman Catholic Church Articles published in: DailyCatholic, The Four Marks

I have an Engineering degree from University of California, Santa Barbara, however this obviously has extremely little bearing on my expertise here other than to document the level of my education in general.

I have been an Allexperts volunteer in the category of Catholics since at least as far back as 2001, having answered over 800 questions from over 600 different people.