Transgender/Transsexual/Writting CV's for job applications?

I'm Seth and am 26. I live in the UK as an au pair at the moment, where I am still treated as a girl (I don't want to confuse the kids I look after), but I will soon stop working for them and start to find a 'proper' job.
I'm starting my transition (have an appointment with a mental health team on the 10th) so will be further along the way by the time I start to search.
The question I am asking myself is that, when I write my cover letter, if I write them with the name and gender I am (male), and to only explain the ins and outs once I have the job and a legal name is needed for bank transfers or the gender my birth certificate says I am (female) and explain that I am transitioning and prefer to be called Seth and not Sarah and to be referred to by male pronouns?
One thing is sure is that, no matter where I am in my transition at that time, I will not be able to deal with being treated like a girl when I am not. It is after all the reason why I've decided to leave the family I live and work with...
In any case, thank you for your answer!

Hi there, Seth!

Sorry about the delay on this. Life has been what could politely be called 'hectic' lately.

Now, you're asking this of yourself, so in the end, only *yourself* can answer that. However, if you're asking an opinion from me on this, I wouldn't be hiding behind anything. I would make it quite obvious from the get-go. You are a male. You were born a female, and are presently under transition. Be polite, of course, but be firm. And when you actually go to any job interviews or whatever, present yourself as male as you can. This will help put it in their mind that you are serious about the matter.

The reason I say this is because, as you say yourself, you would need to explain it at some point. What would be easier? Finding out *before* you ever get a job that your boss-to-be is extremely uncomfortable with your gender and will cause issues? Or after you have been working there for a while? In my opinion, I would want to know, right from the get-go, what their impression of me as 'me' would be. You don't necessarily need to rub it in their face, but if there is a definite chance that it would come up (like you said: biological information needing to be shared), then hiding it until then will just make you seem deceptive to them. Be honest with them, and let them be honest with you, basically.

Hopefully that was helpful to you! Questions, comments, feedback, follow-ups are welcome!

Trey McGowan

I am able to answer questions about transexual and transgender issues of many kinds, but in particular those tilted toward the FTM (Female-To-Male) transgender. I can offer tips for dressing, passing, binding, packing, behavior, and the like for both drag and full lifestyle/gender transition. I may also be able to offer some help with finding local peer groups, should you be interested in peer counseling. Sexuality issues, MTF (male-to-female), and other gender issues can also be touched on and I may be able to help, and for those who may be concerned, I am kink-friendly, and while I recognize that transgender and cross-dressing are two different things, am well aware of how they can intersect.

I am not a professional (I repeat: I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL!) but I can also offer some general peer counseling suggestions and help with finding groups for all branches of gender identification and sexuality. If you are in need of finding a professional, I may be able to find a name in your area to help.

I am personally FTM transgender, living full-time and accepting of my gender identity. I am nonsurgical, and have no desire to have them done (so am unable to offer personal experience these) though I have been on testosterone as of January 2012. I am well-accepted, well-supported, and have been a support for many individuals through the years.

I have been part of a number of groups, though moving has kept discussions to long distance since then. I am well-studied for a great many years in this area, having begun reading up on it when I first identified and having kept up on it since then. I have no medical credentials in the area of gender counseling but have been part of multiple peer counseling groups and to this day help educate where I can, having not only helped with offering information on the subject to fellow transgender individuals but educated professionals along the way through my personal experience.

PFLAG Canada: Sarnia Branch (

The Transgender Project (!trey-mcgowan) Not writings, but videos. Part of a half-hour episode which will be airing on iChannel and OutTV.

I have completed grade school, some high school, and my GED.