Transgender/Transsexual/Finding Help

Question
I am almost 21 and I have been out to everyone since I was 14. My family is very supportive of who I am, but I have never been comfortable in my own skin. I hate my body (the female parts) and am often too embarrassed to even use the public women's restroom do to the fact that I DON'T feel like a woman. I have always wanted to have the top surgery and hysterectomy, but want to wait for bottom surgery until I am comfortable with the chances being able to "properly function" as a male after the surgery. Now that I am nearing 21 I have been looking more into starting testosterone. I have been working out daily to stay in shape and have been eating healthy to ensure I will be in great health and condition to undergo this transition. However, I do not have insurance to even start seeing a therapist, and do not even know where to begin for testosterone, short of going to supplement stores. Is there any programs that financially help people like me? Or ANY ways to even help a person in my situation? I feel that I have no where to turn and its frustrating that I can't even feel 100% comfortable with who I am. What can I do?

Answer
Hi there, Thea!

Unfortunately, programs to help transgender/transsexual individuals are out there, but they are few and far between. Most of them only help with accessibility, as much of what is done with transitioning in either direction is considered 'elective surgery', and thus not covered even by most insurance. Which at least puts you on equal ground in that area!

Many therapists will work on a sliding scale, thus giving you access to basic support and care without having to break the bank. I'm not sure where the general location is, but a Google search might help find someone who can help out in that area. For testosterone, if you have a family doctor, and you have information from the therapist, you can probably get access to an endocrinologist or other doctor who can help with the testosterone itself. Many therapists who work directly with trans individuals have access to names they can direct you to, and likely information about costs and the like.

Seeing if there is a local support group is also a way to potentially get some assistance. You can discuss trans matters with them, get information, and peer support in your transition as things go along. Many of them have been through similar things, after all. Again, I'm unfortunately not sure where you are to be able to make suggestions, but Google might be of help.

Hopefully those general suggestions at least give you a place to start. If not, feel free to add further questions, comments, feedback, or follow-ups, and I'll certainly do what I can!

Trey

Transgender/Transsexual

Trey McGowan