Transgender/Transsexual/Confusion

Question
Good day. For a while now I have been wondering, what is the difference between a transvestite, a transexual, and a trasgender? Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Answer
Hi there, Lour!

Pardon the delay on this. This is one of those question-emails that fell through the cracks; it wasn't until the warning that I even knew it was here!

First off, 'transvestite' is the term for a person who dresses as the opposite gender. This can be for any number of reasons: transsexuality, sexual reasons, fun and spectacle, et cetera. This term tends to be replaced with 'cross-dresser' nowadays to avoid the negative connotations that the term brings up.

The terms 'transsexual' and 'transgender', on a technical level, are interchangeable for many people: this is involving the state of mind. The person's gender does not match the one their mind says it should, in the plainest of terms. 'Transsexual' is the (outdated) medical diagnosis for the happenings, while 'transgender' is the term more often used nowadays among much of the community, to help separate the sexuality from the actual *gender*.

Hopefully this will help with your understanding of the situation! If you need further explanation, questions, comments, feedback, and follow-ups are always welcome!

Trey

Transgender/Transsexual

Trey McGowan