Transgender/Transsexual/Starting transition


Heyyo. So after an intense bout of crying earlier this evening, I've decided that wallowing and being depressed is ridiculous and I'm ready to start doing something about this situation. I was DFAB, and I've since realized that I identify as agender rather than female. I'd still like to attempt a transmale transition, going on T and eventually lopping off the boobs, but I don't know where to start. Since coming out at fifteen, I've been to a couple therapists that didn't really do anything constructive. I emailed a specialized gender therapist and I'm waiting for a response. I assume that's the first step. Do you have any sort of advice as far as a timeline-type-thing would go?

Hi there, Syd!

Apologies for the delay on answering. Somehow, the question got lost in the crush. I thank AllExperts for their occasional alerts!

Unfortunately, a timeline is difficult to come up with. It depends on your location and on what you're looking to get done. Usually, there will be some 'real life experience' living as your chosen gender before any surgeries are OKed, but depending on the therapist, hormones can come before or after that. After makes it considerably easier, of course. A hysterectomy/oorphectomy is usually one of the first surgeries to get done, as it is the easiest to get covered and handled, as well as important for reduction of the estrogen and progesterone production; this is generally able to be done before needing a letter from any therapist, though you will probably need a reference from your usual doctor.

Top surgery tends to be 'OKed' after around six months to a year (depending, again, on the therapist) of that aforementioned 'real life experience', so you may want to prepare to bind for a time if you are not already; it may help your gender dysphoria to display a flatter chest in the mean time. Keep in mind that this time may be lengthened depending on whether you have coverage or not. If you don't, it will need to come out of pocket, and that can cost a considerable amount; you may want to start a 'personal savings account' to prepare for that possibility. At the very least, if you find it's covered, it can go toward a hell of a celebratory trip.

I wish I could give more detail, but without knowing more details about location and situation, as well as the doctor you're talking with, I can only give very basic estimations. I hope, however, that even those estimations are able to be of some help.

Any further questons, comments, feedback, and follow-ups are welcome!



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Trey McGowan


I am able to answer questions about transexual and transgender issues of many kinds, but in particular those tilted toward the FTM (Female-To-Male) transgender. I can offer tips for dressing, passing, binding, packing, behavior, and the like for both drag and full lifestyle/gender transition. I may also be able to offer some help with finding local peer groups, should you be interested in peer counseling. Sexuality issues, MTF (male-to-female), and other gender issues can also be touched on and I may be able to help, and for those who may be concerned, I am kink-friendly, and while I recognize that transgender and cross-dressing are two different things, am well aware of how they can intersect.

I am not a professional (I repeat: I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL!) but I can also offer some general peer counseling suggestions and help with finding groups for all branches of gender identification and sexuality. If you are in need of finding a professional, I may be able to find a name in your area to help.


I am personally FTM transgender, living full-time and accepting of my gender identity. I am nonsurgical, and have no desire to have them done (so am unable to offer personal experience these) though I have been on testosterone as of January 2012. I am well-accepted, well-supported, and have been a support for many individuals through the years.

I have been part of a number of groups, though moving has kept discussions to long distance since then. I am well-studied for a great many years in this area, having begun reading up on it when I first identified and having kept up on it since then. I have no medical credentials in the area of gender counseling but have been part of multiple peer counseling groups and to this day help educate where I can, having not only helped with offering information on the subject to fellow transgender individuals but educated professionals along the way through my personal experience.

PFLAG Canada: Sarnia Branch (

The Transgender Project (!trey-mcgowan) Not writings, but videos. Part of a half-hour episode which will be airing on iChannel and OutTV.

I have completed grade school, some high school, and my GED.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]