Transgender/Transsexual/transition start?

Question
I live in Indiana and find it hard to a doctor so that i can start becoming who i really am. Im male wanting to be female.

Answer
Clinton,

You didn't give me much information to go on and I'm not sure what type of doctor you are looking for. If you are in Indiana, I'm sure there are many doctors around you who work with transgender people, however they also work with other people on non-trans related issues as well so it's not like there is a huge sign that says...(TRANSITION HERE) above their door. Just to let you know you will need to see several doctors if you wish to transition.

To start you will need to speak to a psychologist. This does not mean your crazy. It's just to determine your mental health and state of mind before beginning any hormone therapy. Also you will have to be officially diagnosed with gender dysphoria and a psychologist can do this. If you have health care, you should have access to a psychologist on your plan. If your afraid of coming out or worried your coverage will not cover trans issues don't worry. Due to doctor patient confidentiality laws anything you say to the psychologist will stay between you and the psychologist. If your psychologist on your plan does not have the training or experience to help you than likely they know someone who does and can refer you. Once you get a referral, your insurance has to cover it.

The psychologist can then refer you to several other doctors you will need to see including an endocrinologist. An endocrinologist is a specialist in hormone therapy and will be prescribing and monitoring your hormone levels as you transition. You will likely need to see a heart doctor and a general practitioner on a regular basis as there are sometimes unwanted side effects to the hormones. Some common problem when transitioning is blood clots. If the clots get stuck they can cause many different problems depending on where they are stuck. Heart Attacks, strokes, numbness and aneurysms are not unheard of so monitoring your health will be of prime importance.

Once you begin your transition you will likely be referred to a gynecologist and plastic surgeon. Finally if you decide to have genital reconstruction you will see a specialist in gender reassignment.

Doctor Marci Bowers is not only an expert on the surgery, but is transgender herself. Her web site is very thorough on the procedures required if you wish to go that far. Her site is...

http://www.tssurgeryguide.com/Dr-Bowers-SRS.html

What you may want to do is search the web for transgender support groups in Indiana. I'm sure there are many. You may not find a group that is perfect for you right away, however pretty much all groups network with each other and if you contact one, they can steer you in the right direction. These groups tend to know who to talk to and which doctors are accepting and open to the transgender population.

Finally, I'm going to recommend you do not do anything with black market hormones or try anything unethical. As I said there are health risk and they have to be monitored. I've known people who got hormones who were not properly monitored and had all sorts of issues. Also there are some events called "pumping parties". These are little get together where someone with basic medical knowledge will inject silicone or some other substance into the bust, hips, butt and other places to create a curvier and more feminine appearance. The results are usually not very good. One party I heard of the person was using industrial grade silicone of the type you buy at the hardware store. This is not designed to be in the human body and can kill you.  For example Pete Burns was a pop star back in the 1980's with the group Dead or Alive. He is transgender but still prefers to use his male name an pro-nouns. He had silicone injected into his lips and other parts of his body. After a few years, the silicone started to ooze out and he had to have reconstruction surgery to remove all the silicone and give him a set of lips again. Google Pete Burns if you don't know who he is. His appearance will shock you.

I'm sorry if I went on to much but you really didn't give me much to work with... So I tried to cover as much as I could. If you have any additional questions please feel free to send me an email at cherylhcd@gmail.com

Thanks

Cheryl H.  

Transgender/Transsexual

Cheryl H