Transportation and Vehicle Safety/DOT & MC# and insurance requirements

I'm looking into using my pickup to make deliveries (interstate and intrastate) for hire. It will be under 10,000 lbs and my primary deliveries will be packages and furniture (dressers, tables, etc.) from individuals. No trailer is involved.

If I'm understanding correctly I will need a DOT# number as well as an MC# but I'm not completely sure. Is this true?

Also, what are the insurance requirements in order to get those items for my operation? Is cargo insurance required

Thank you for considering my question.

Hi Lee,

As a motorcarrier of household goods involved in interstate shipping, your operation would fall under the jurisdiction of the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).  Regulation Part 375 seems to cover the business venture you're contemplating - you can read the rules set here:

To be certain that your new venture is in complete compliance with federal law, you should contact your FMCSA representative below:

Steven J. LaFreniere
Regulatory Ombudsman
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE.
Washington, DC  20590

FMCSA is involved because you indicated a desire to enter into interstate shipping.  You will also need to follow all rules and regulations for the state in which you reside.  You did not specify which state your business will be based in.  I reside in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - the link below will take you to their regulations page for in-state motor carriers, as an example (regulations differ from state to state, so be sure to search out those in your own state).

Good luck with your venture!

Transportation and Vehicle Safety

Michael Mercadante

Questions on traffic safety, safe performance and operation of a motor vehicle in traffic, about driving with special needs, learning/behavioral/developmental disabilities, understanding vehicle laws, understanding safety equipment on vehicles, defensive and precision driving techniques, driver education and instruction and driver exam preparation.

Owner and sole driving instructor for Modern Driver Institute. Eight years in traffic safety research on contracts for NHTSA, FMCSA, AAA, MDOT and PennDOT. More than 1,000 hours as a professional driving instructor. Licensed driving instructor in the state of PA. Certified Defensive Driving Instructor for the National Safety Council. Precision driving for Hollywood and independent films. Expertise in virtual-reality driving simulators and teaching students with developmental/intellectual disabilities, traumatic brain injuries and more.

member, Teen Safe Driving Coalition; member, PA Safe Kids coalition; service provider, PA Bureau of Autism Services; service provider, PA Office of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Perkasie News-Herald WonkaVision Magazine Philadelphia Zoo website Driver Training Services website Yahoo! Associated Content

Licensed driving instructor, PA Department of Education Certified Defensive Driving Instructor, National Safety Council B.A. in American History (cum laude), Temple University (earned 2007) M.S. in Psychology, specialization in Educational Psychology (2015) Ph.D in Psychology, specialization in Educational Psychology (expected 2019)

Scientific Paper of the Year (2003), Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine.