Transportation and Vehicle Safety/Hand signals

I am 35 and have been driving for nearly 20 years and so don't remember my driver's test. It was brought to my attention today that there are hand signals people are supposed to know if ever there signals don't work? Honestly never had that issue as I take care of my vehicle and don't remember that on driver's test either. That's an actual thing? I mean if someone was waving an arm out the window like a crazy person I would make a point to let them do whatever they want.

Traffic Hand Signals
Traffic Hand Signals  
Yes, hand signals are real.  The automobile predates electronic turn signals by nearly 50 years, so during that time hand signals were very common.  They continue to be used by motorcyclists and bicyclists to this day, so it is important to know them.  Here is an easy guide to common hand signals:

Transportation and Vehicle Safety

Michael Mercadante

Questions on traffic safety, safe performance and operation of a motor vehicle in traffic, about driving with special needs, learning/behavioral/developmental disabilities, understanding vehicle laws, understanding safety equipment on vehicles, defensive and precision driving techniques, driver education and instruction and driver exam preparation.

Owner and sole driving instructor for Modern Driver Institute. Eight years in traffic safety research on contracts for NHTSA, FMCSA, AAA, MDOT and PennDOT. More than 1,000 hours as a professional driving instructor. Licensed driving instructor in the state of PA. Certified Defensive Driving Instructor for the National Safety Council. Precision driving for Hollywood and independent films. Expertise in virtual-reality driving simulators and teaching students with developmental/intellectual disabilities, traumatic brain injuries and more.

member, Teen Safe Driving Coalition; member, PA Safe Kids coalition; service provider, PA Bureau of Autism Services; service provider, PA Office of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Perkasie News-Herald WonkaVision Magazine Philadelphia Zoo website Driver Training Services website Yahoo! Associated Content

Licensed driving instructor, PA Department of Education Certified Defensive Driving Instructor, National Safety Council B.A. in American History (cum laude), Temple University (earned 2007) M.S. in Psychology, specialization in Educational Psychology (2015) Ph.D in Psychology, specialization in Educational Psychology (expected 2019)

Scientific Paper of the Year (2003), Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine.