Travel in India/TOUR OF SHIMLA

Dear Abhishek Ji, Namaskar.

I am planning a visit of Shimla in June-2013. My expected tour days are 6 to 7 days including journey time from delhi. I want to travel by toy train in my onward journey. My wish is to see snow at least at one place. My expectations from the tour is relaxing tour. I am not interested to touch all the places just to make a list that I saw these places. Kindly help me in planning my tour program. Please also let me know which toy train connects the howrah kalka mail for shimla. Can I cover Kullu, Manali or Rohtang in my tour. I enquired from available sites that flights are not available from delhi to shimla.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Dear Arun,

For Shimla, you can take the Shivalik Express which leaves from Kalka after the Howrah-Kalka mail arrives in Kalka at 5:00 am. You'll need to book tickets well in advance. I don't think flights are available for Shimla presently.

Further, in all probability, there is no place in Himachal, except the high peaks, where you can find snow in June. From Shimla, you won't even get to SEE snow covered peaks. I would suggest you to forget about snow and focus instead on some of the other things that Himachal has to offer.

Kullu, Manali and Rohtang are possible, but in that case I won't suggest you to go to Shimla. Kullu-Manali are located rather far away from Shimla and a good idea for a relaxed trip would be to choose any one of these, but not both.

My Suggestion:

Go to Manali region. But instead of staying at Manali, find a slightly offbeat place which is close but still away from the hustle and bustle of Manali.

Best option would be to stay for 3 nights at Naggar (about 15 km downstream from Manali) and 2 nights at Solang valley (15 km upstream). From Naggar, you can stay near the banks of Beas and make daytrips to Manali, Vashisht etc, or can just hike to some nearby villages in the afternoon. Solang valley is among the most beautiful places in Himachal, and from there you can go for short trips to Rohtang (where you may end up finding some residual snow), Rahalla falls and along numerous meadows and streams nearby. 24x7 view of snow capped mountains is an added incentive, and the place is very fresh and relaxing.

If you still wish to go to Shimla, I would suggest you to go to Narkanda instead, which is about 2 hours further up from Shimla and is a much more relaxed, quiet and beautiful place.

Do make a choice and let me know if I can help you further!

Travel in India

Abhishek Upadhyay

Travel and exploration in India: sights and sounds of this land, popular places, offbeat destinations, budget travel, backpacking, Train journeys, cultures and traditions of different regions, beliefs and customs, tips and to-do's, art and architecture, weather, trekking and mountaineering, adventure sports, Cuisine... Practically everything you need to know about Incredible India!

Lived and traveled extensively across India, mostly in Kashmir, Himachal, Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Karnataka... Also visited several other countries as a student. These experiences have allowed me to appreciate the diverse flavors that my country has to offer and I spare no opportunity to share them with others... So, feel free to ask!

Indian Institute of Technology Delhi

A blog, , which describes my travel experiences in Europe.

Electrical Engineer

This isn't my profession; just a thing that I love to do!