Travel in India/child

Question
i want to go hemkund. For travell. I will go in the month of august-2013. I will go with my daughter and wife. Now my daughter is 3 years old. And my age is 33 and my wife age is 28. So i want ask you, is it possible to take my daughter on that place?

Answer
Hello Abhijit,

It is entirely possible to take your 3-year old on this trip, but be warned that it is a very tough trek with rain almost inevitable during the trek. It can also get very cold, misty and moist. You will be climbing to a height of about 13,000 ft to Ghagariya and to about 16,000 ft to Hemkund. High altitude sicness is a real possibility unless you are acclamatized. Also there is almost no worthwhile medical assistance once you leave Joshimath which is about 2-day's trek and 35 km once you reach Ghagariya which is the base for Hemkund.

If I were you, I would seriously re-consider taking a 3-year old along. If possible leave her behind with your parents or in-laws.

Hope this helps you to make a decision.

Take Care
Nilesh  

Travel in India

Nilesh Korgaokar