Travel with Pets/Dog from Canada to Mexico in transit in US

I'm from Mexico but living in Canada with my dog, she is Mexican too. I'm planning a trip to Mexico and the flight that I found have a stop in the US.
My question is if I need some documentation for my dog to be in the US for the couple of hours we are going to be in the airport waiting for our connection flight.
Since I'm planning to flight with my dog in cabin, the airline doesn't ask me for a health certificate, but she has her rabies vaccine and her vaccination card, both valid from Mexico. She used to live in Mexico and she has been in Canada since one month ago.
Thank you and I hope you can help me!

Hi Abril, As long as she has her Rabies vaccine current, you should be fine. If the airline does not require health certificate then you just need to proof she is current on her Rabies. She must have the vaccine longer than 30 days ago but not expired. If this is the case just be sure you bring proof. The US is very easy about importing pets especially when coming from Canada.

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010