Travel with Pets/Taking pet cat back to USA

We moved to the Philippines with our pet cat a little over a year ago and now wanting to return back to USA with our cat. What requirements are there to take him back with us. There are so many requirements these days, and I just don't know where to start. I.E, permits, vaccinations from vet here in the Philippines, certificates, etc.? Thank you for you're time.

Hi Joe,
The only requirement Aphis USDA lists for cats coming from Philippines is they need to have a vet document they have tested free of Screwworms. Other than that the airlines have more requirements than the USA does. USDA states cats are not even required to have Rabies vaccines but most airlines and states here require them. So best to have the vet document the Rabies vaccine on the heath certificate. Also not the USDA does not even require a health cert for cats coming in but again your airline will. So as long as you are not going though Hawaii or Guam and coming straight to the US it is easy peasy... here is the links you and your vet should read.

<a href=">

<a href="">

So from my take if you meet the airlines requirements you will be fine, the US is easy as long as you are traveling with her and not sending her unattended in cargo and you avoid Hawaii or Guam.

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010