Travel with Pets/Military family moving to the UK

Question
George
George  

George 2
George 2  
Hello, we're a military family moving to the UK in May. Can anyone help use figure out the type of bread our dog George is? When we adopted him 11 years ago at the humane society they said he was a Boston Terrier mix. As you can see from the pictures he's decently bigger than a BT. We know the UK has a ban on Pit Bulls so we are trying to figure out his bread. Any help you can provide would be great. Thanks

Ann

Answer
Hi Ann, You know the final decision will be the vet who fills out the health certificate. If in his/her opinion he is Pitbull then you might have issues. But if you have paperwork or you can get paperwork from the Humane Society where he was adopted and a vet has signed it stating what breed they classified George to be that would give your vet some justification in classifying him the same.  If you have no paperwork you will have to suggest the breed and see if they will document it on his health certificate as Boston Terrier Mix. Although Humane Society and other shelters have been known to miss classify a Pitbull to assist in find them a good home and limit the prejudice opinion one might have for Pitulls. And I am not 100% sure if the vet that inspects the pets coming in to the UK can veto the original vets opinion on breed classifications. Might be good to send this to a few local pet shippers at ipata.com and see what they say they have experienced in similar situations.

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly