Travel with Pets/Taking cat from India home to US

I was adopted by a cat while in India.  I have had her spayed and vaccinated and would like to take her with me when I move back to the U.S., which will be in about 2 years, so I'm planning ahead.  Please give me whatever information you can to help me with this process.

Hi Sheri, currently overall the process is quite simple, yet it could change in 2 years. So be sure and revisit this research process about 6 months before leaving. At the present cats have very little health restrictions. You will want to keep her Rabies vaccine current even though our government does not currently require that for importing cats. The airline and the state you are coming to might require. Also no health certificate is required by our government but again the airlines might require one.  I would guess that in 2 years this might change and be a little more like the requirements for dogs so I will give you a link for our USDA and CDC and read the part for cats and Dogs just in case. Both are very simple.

USDA   <a href=">

CDC be sure and read the link for Cats and Dogs there is a little picture next to each requirement in the middle of the page.
 <a href="">

Also you might want to visit: <a href=""> for some how to videos on how to prepare your pets container for in cabin or excess baggage.

PS you will want to take your cat with you while on the plane. ( carry-on or excess checked baggage) if not and you plan to ship the kitty separate then you will have some issues with security. Meaning only a known pet shipper can ship the pet to the USA when the owner is not on the same aircraft. So be sure that is how you plan to travel WITH your Kitty.

Good luck & BR,

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010