Travel with Pets/Car travel with cats

I would like to drive to NY from Florida with my three cats and my dog.  I have an SUV. My Afghan Hound gets the back seat and they can have the hatch back area. I have travel containers for each cat.  My question is how do I know when they need to make and where?  Do I need to bring one of the kitty litter boxes?  I use Kitty a Go Go boxes that are covered. If I harness them will I be able to walk them like a dog? I have too many to fly with them.  Also, should they stay in their containers or should I devise a partition and let them free?

We've done the drive many times with the dog and it takes two days. I'm not worried about our overnight stay at a motel.

Hi Louise, If it were me and I happen to be a cat expert with 18 years experience. I would leave them in their carriers for safety reasons. I would also recommend DryFur pads for their carrier just in case they have a wetting accident although most cats can hold it. The DryFur pads are special meaning they will dry instantly and they will not get wet. Cats tend to ride on their bellies when in the carrier and if they wet it is traumatic for them and can be an awful mess. As far as a Harness I happen to manufacture a cat harness AND I WOULD NEVER recommend you use any cat harness for allowing a cat to walk in an area you are not very very familiar with. If they were to get spooked they can easily pull backwards on the leash and get out of any harness. It is just like pulling a spandex shirt over the head of a person. No matter how good the fit cats know this move and they can get out if they want to. AND this would be horrific in a strange area while you are in between destinations. So please leave them in the carriers and let them have a good nice break at the hotels at night for eating and using the box. Also another concern is cats sometimes do not eat or drink while traveling so be 100% sure you see each one of them eat once you are in NY. If they do not start to eat right away then you will want to try all kinds of treats or snacks tuna, chicken, milk or canned food whatever it takes to get them back to eating. Once they eat something you can put them back on their normal diet if they do not eat then they will need to see vet ASAP. Cats can only go a few days without eating before it can become deadly.  After you have made this trip a few times your cats will be experience travelers all my cats travel with me to work and long distance they all enjoy the rides... but it takes a while.
Good luck the first trip is always stressful.  

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010