Travel with Pets/Exporting dog from the Phils. to the U.S.

Hello Ms. Kelly. I have read some of the answers you have provided here and I just would like to verify things. I will be bringing my mini-dachshund from the Philippines to Florida, U.S., and going back to your past answers, apparently, I will need only to accomplish 2 documents, namely:
   1.  Export Certificate -- to be issued by the Phil.Quarantine
         Officer; and
   2.  Health Certificate
Now, can just our own vet furnish the Health Cert.?
Further, Do I need to have my pup microchipped? I am reluctant in this as research has shown that microchipping dogs can cause cancer to them.
Pls. give me advice.
Thank you for this service you are providing.

Hi Saigone, The only info I have on the current process is again found on the 2 government web sites pertaining to the laws of importing pets into the US.

I can tell you from reading there rules that if your dog is coming from the Phils. you will need to have the vet document that your dog is free or has been successfully treated for ScrewWorms. I do not see anything requiring you to have a microchip, I know they are required for going to the UK but not the US from what I have read. Yes if your vet is licensed yes he can furnish the health certificate. I am not sure about the export certificate. I do not see that listed as a requirement but maybe your airlines in Phils might require one.

You will want to call your airlines because sometimes they have other requirements to board the plane that is not even required by our country.

Right now how I read it is: you must have the dog vaccinated more than 30 days before leaving with a Rabies Vaccine, but not so long ago that it is not still considered current. SO not more than 1 year. And you will need the health certificate saying the dog does not show signs of illness and your dog does not have Screwworms. That is basically it, with the exceptions of what your airlines will require from you. AND AS LONG as your ARE NOT going to travel through HAWAII OR GUAM. Since they are Rabies FREE and will require way more and then it could become very complicated process.

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010