Travel with Pets/Traveling with Dog to US through Spain

We have been living in Serbia and will be returning to the US via Madrid with a small dog.  From what I have researched, I will need two bi-lingual forms (998 EU and the veterinary cert.). Is there any other forms?

I had a rabies antibody test taken and have a certificate, but read you cannot enter for 3 months?  Is this true? My dog is 10 yrs. and I have the complete vet records from the birth to now.  Would this help in him gaining entry?  Please advise anything I might need to know (he has the rabies, chip, etc.)

HI Carrie,
I wish this was easy... and it should be but the only part I am unsure of is Spain's rules. The US is simple you can see we do not require titer test or 3 months etc.. The USA is the way less strict because of our NonRabies Free Status. (with the exception of Hawaii they are considered still considered Rabies Free) But for the main land should be simple.
Here is the links to the 2 government agencies who regulate pet importing.

Read both of them and see for yourself the rules are very easy to comply with.  I also see Serbia is not listed as country with risk of screwworms so that is one less thing you need to worry about.

Sorry wish I could tell you about Spain's requirements of passing through but I have no current experience with their requirements. Good luck and welcome back to the US.

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010