Travel with Pets/Moving long distance with dog

I'm in the preliminary planning stages of making a long distance move in January (Alabama to NYC.) My dog is definitely going with me. I'm probably going to fly myself (and my dog) to our new destination. My dog was a rescue and he's never flown before. Shoot, I've just recently crate trained him and I've had him almost two years. FYI, he's a pitty/lab mix and is about 70 lbs. He's no chihuahua.

when the time comes, what do I need to keep in mind? Regarding several things. What kind of crate am I going to need or can I use the plastic carrier I already have? What's going to need to be done to keep him safe and calm during the flight? And just for curiosity sake, how much does shipping a dog usually cost in air fare?

This is new territory for me so I apologize if these questions seem basic.

You will likely need a CR82 cage which means made from wood or metal or combination of both. You will not be able to use the plastic if the vet does the health certificate and lists him as pit mix, or he looks like a pit mix.  The airline will then insist he travels in a reinforced cage even if he is the nicest most lovable dog, it will not be a factor.

It is sad and seems unfair, but the rule is to protect the staff and the other animals traveling as there has been incidents that these breeds have gotten lose and staff has been injured and deaths have occurred to other pets in the cargo hole. So now all breeds considered "aggressive" are treated "equal".

For more info on a CR82 crate and the entire IATA rule visit:

Hope this helps,  

Travel with Pets

Lisa Kelly

My main focus is teaching pet owners how to choose and properly prepare an airline carrier kennel for a safe and comfortable trip. I can answer any questions on the subject of purchasing an airline approved carrier or kennel. I can also answer questions on how to modify or prepare an existing pet carrier kennel to be safe and considered airline compliant. Also any questions on how to ship a pet domestically in the USA. I can not answer questions on required paperwork for importing or exporting pets internationally.

My experience includes owning and running a Luxury Cat Care Facility since 1997 - Kitty Cat Condos. While running the facility I have used my daily pet experiences to invent and develop many pet travel products, many of which are Patented. The most well known is DryFur® Travel Pads. I now run a blog dedicated to sharing free information to pet owners who are often overwhelmed with the task of traveling on airlines with their beloved pets.

ABKA - 1997-2002 IPATA 2005-2010 Presently not an active member of any Organization

Most of my articles are published on my blogs at and I have been interviewed as cat expert for an article in Animal Wellness on the subject of Choosing the right Cat Carrier for traveling. Also interviewed as pet expert on Animal Radio on the subject of how to travel with your pet safely on airlines.

High School - Evergreen High School Business - Clark College LMT - East West School of Massage Veterinary Assistant - Harcourt Learning

1. Disposable absorbent pet transport cushion-United States Patent 7231888 2. Awarded Best Cat Boarding 3 times by CatFancy Magazine in 2005-2007-2010 3. Awarded Best Pet Product by CatFancy for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005 4. Awarded Product of the Year Pet Product News for DryFur® Travel Pads 2005-2006 5. Awarded Editors Choice Product of the Year DogFancy DryFur® Travel Pads 2006 6. Awarded Best Pet Product for Airline Kennel Securing Hardware 2010