Travel Safety/Rear facing car seat in pickup truck

Question
Hi, in just wondering if I could use my 5 month old's rear facing car seat in the front bench seat of my father-in-law's truck? There are no airbags in the truck and she would be in the middle seat... I need to get her to the doctors and that's the only vehicle available to me... I can't seem to find any answers online about this either... I live in Ontario..

Thanks alot

Answer
Yes, but... What you present presumes that this vehicle is likely 1993, or older. If that is the case, yes, the car seat could be in the front seat, but may need to be in the passenger seat if the transmission shifter is manual and mounted on the floor. If the shift mechanism is on the steering column or a shift mechanism for an automatic transmission and mounted on the floor in a way it does not interfere with the car seat, than the car seat could be in the center seating position. Since the seat belts for that generation vehicle would normally be lap shoulder for driver and passenger and lap only for center, the center seat belt is the easiest to use to install most car seats. In a 1993 or older vehicle, lap & shoulder seat belts do not have switchable retractors, in most trucks, and a locking clip or car seat with built in lock off mechanisms is required. Without truck make, model and year, it is difficult to give specifics. Additionally, make and model of car seat is very helpful. Keep in mind that vehicle and car seat information can be Canada specific and may not have a direct correlation to US models. Feel free to contact me directly through contact information on my web site, www.carseatprogram.com or email at carseatprogram@gmail.com as needed. Cheers!

Travel Safety

Bill Flinchbaugh