Travel to Spain/Lourdes to Santander

How can my husband and I go from Lourdes, France to Santander, Spain? We are traveling in April, 2013.

Hello Ileana

From  Lourdes i recommend you to move to Spain via Hendaye, check sncf site for trains in france or ask an expert for existing bus connections.

But instead travelling to Hendaya you should  check Irun as destination, let me explain. Irun and Hendaya are border towns side by side, train stations are close each other and trains in spain with renfe run up to Hendaya, this destination can be choosen at the renfe site. The same happens with the french trains in the sncf site. You may choose Irun station as destination, from there you may take another train to your final destination in spain with Renfe or take a bus.

Once in spain, in Irun you may take a train to san Sebastian and from there a bus to Santander
or directly take it from Irun, i recommend the bus from Irun, you won't save too much time for travelling to SSebastian/Donostia by train first. May be there are more buses from SS to Santander, explore this option only if schedules in Irun desn't fit. There i sno direct train connection between SS  and Santander, i discard this option because it means taking at least two trains and doing a lot of km more.

For trains check

For bus from SSebastian or Irun check Alsa site

from Irun there are several buses daily and takes from 3h to 4h30. Seems that bus stop in Irun is conveniently located in front of the train station.

I hope this helps.  

Travel to Spain

Víctor Díaz

I live in Madrid,and travel frequently to Valencia. I have also travelled to many places all over spain, if haven't been there i'd try to help anyway providing my knowledge and links. I enjoy trekking in the mountains, and know pyrinees, Picos de Europa and mountains in the center.