Travel to Spain/spain trip dec 21, 2013 - jan 3, 2014

Question
Hi. Our daughter will be in Salamanca for the fall 2013 semester. We are planning on being in Spain over the Christmas holidays. Our kids are 20 and 23 and will be with us. I'm trying to figure out our itinerary. Everything I read about makes me feel we should see Barcelona. But we don't have a lot of time and we don't want to spend a lot of time on trains! We plan on flying into and out of Madrid. We want to be in Salamanca the 22nd and 23rd. Do you think we should try to see Barcelona or skip it and head to Andalusia? We plan on being in Madrid New Year Eve. Please help. Thank you for your input!

Answer
Hi Terri

Many thanks for your question and I hope I can help out regarding Barcelona.

I would certainly advise that Barcelona has to be one of the 'must visit' areas of Spain to visit if only to marvel at the architecture of the world famous Antoni Gaudi.

In terms of time Barcelona is best served by passing at least a week in the City however you may like to consider what visitors taking cruises from Barcelona International Cruise Port do. In the main these visitors arrive for just 2 nights in the City before setting off on their cruise and typically fit in a tour of Antoni Gaudi's Parc Güell and La Sagrada Familia plus walk the Gothic and Roman City Centre with a stop at the oldest Synagogue in Europe. If taking the hop on hop off bus many more sites can be visited briefly at very low cost including the Olympic Ring.

I strongly advise that you travel from Madrid to Barcelona on the AVE high speed train as this will save you hours in the airport and give you more time to enjoy both places, also as a non-Spanish citizen you can obtain a Spain Pass rail ticket at reduced cost saving money via the RENFE rail site http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/viajes_internacionales/spainpass/index.html

Hopefully the above will provide some guidance and Barcelona awaits your visit.

Regards
Alan

Travel to Spain

Alan Broadbent