Travel to Spain/winter travel north west spain

Question
We are travelling to Bilbao/Santander by ferry from UK with our own car next January, going down to the Algarve for a couple of weeks.  We want to spend about a week travelling down and another week travelling back, doing a bit of sightseeing on the way (making 4 weeks in total).  As we are quite elderly (my husband is partially disabled), I want to make sure we plan a suitable route for that time of year, and book up suitable hotels in advance, etc.  I was planning going from Bilbao through Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Cuidad Rodrigo into Portugal, and then returning along the coastal route, through Portugal into Galicia, then east to Santander.  My question is - is the inland route guaranteed to be trouble free in winter, or might it be blocked anywhere by snow/bad weather?  I assume the coastal route will be OK, so would we be better taking the coastal route both ways?

Answer
Regrettably, the route Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Cuidad Rodrigo cannot be guaranteed to be trouble free in January or, indeed, at any time between mid-November and mid-March.

I, myself, have been caught by such conditions and, in one case, a few years ago, I had to drive in January to France via Seville, Granada and Barcelona as the routes via the north of Spain were blocked by snow for 48-72 hours.

I would not guarantee either that the coastal route would be free of trouble as the Asturias, parts of Galicia and the Minho/Tras os Montes areas of northern Portugal can be subject to snow and adverse condition as well.

Probably you will have no problems, BUT I would advise that you should be prepared to have to spend a couple of nights en-route in hotels should adverse weather conditions prevail.  

Travel to Spain

BarlaventoExpert