Traveling with Children/Canadian citizen travelling with a 16 year old niece to USA

Question
i am a canadian citizen living in vancouver and my 16 year old brazilian niece is studying in toronto for 6 months. she is coming for 2 weeks to vancouver during her christmas vacation. she has multiple entry visas for both usa and canada and of course a valid passport. i am thinking of driving to seattle for a couple of days with her. do i need anything else other than my passport and her passport with the visas?

Answer
Dear Cesar -

The place to go for official requirements for crossing the border is the US State Department website.  Here is a link to the US/Canada requirements:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

(scroll down to Entry/Exit Requirements for all the details)

Children over 16 do require a passport.

Scroll down a bit further to read the requirements for minors traveling without parents:

"Travel with Minors: If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, CBSA may require you to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minorís parents. Please refer to the CBSA website linked above for more details. There is no specific form for this document, but it should include dates of travel, parentsí names and photocopies of their state-issued IDs. "

It references the CBSA website - here is the link:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/

This paragraph doesn't say exactly what age is considered a minor.  You might want to check with the CBSA regarding your 16-year old niece.

Have a great trip!

Sue Jackson

www.travelfamily.net

Traveling with Children

Suzan Jackson