Trees/Large hole in Oak tree

OakTreeLover wrote at 2015-08-29 20:29:11
I had a similar problem with a mature oak that had a small hole at the V of the large branches that was collecting water and bugs.  I was worried that this issue would manifest itself so I removed the water and filled the hole with foam.  I then use silicon to seal the exposed surface to heep water from further penetrating.  This was 5+ years ago.  Over the years I watched the tree cover over the damaged area and now would never know it had existed.  I am not an arborist but this remedy appears to have done the trick.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator