Trees/Bald Cypress Trees

Question
Am planning to plant 10' tall bald cypress trees in 4' of
water near Stuttgart,AR. Plan to put  16" root ball in a  1/4"
thick  18" diameter casing made of paper that will
unravel in a year submerged in water. Root ball of cypress
will be sitting on bottom in casing. Casing and trees will be supported
By a wooden frame driven in bottom of reservoir.
Do you think the trees will survive and if so is there any advice
you can provide to improve their odds to survive?
Thank you.

Answer
I really would not plant these trees in 4 feet of water.  It is true they grow in water naturally but sometime in their past they were seeded on drier land. I have seen them planted in a foot of water but then some of the root ball was above water. I think the feet foot would kill the roots by them not getting oxygen. I would call the Ark Forestry Commission and ask one of their local Foresters for advice --they can come out and look at the site and advise you.  Here is a link to their county office information.

http://forestry.arkansas.gov/contactUs/Pages/WhoDoICall.aspx

Trees

Jim Hyland