Trees/felled hollow oak

We just had a large oak tree felled as after all attempts by our arborist to save it was to  no avail. The circumference was over 6 feet and we found the center to be hollow...a radius of about 2 feet. What can we do   to "fill" it so that we can make a planter for the top...we do not want to grind it as the roots provide beautiful edible mushrooms this time of year and we hate to risk losing those as they grow along the root system. Can we put sawdust or shavings inside? many thanks for any help or suggestions!

Sounds like a good idea! I would try and get as much of the rotting wood out of the stump and then fill it with potting soil. Then you can plant what ever type of plant you want in it. IF it hold water you can drill a couple of hole  on either side low on the stump to drain the excess water out.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator