Trees/spruce tree root systems

Can the roots from Norway & Blue spruce cause damage to asphalt drives.  We have these trees planted between drives in our complex.  The trees range from 20 to 35 feet in height.  The drives are spaced 12 - 15 feet apart.  Please advise.  Thank you.

From what I understand your description -- You should not have any problems with this tree from the root. They have  a tap root and the other roots that spread out are fibrous and do not cause problems. You may have a problem with the limbs . This tree has a spread width of 10-20 feet meaning the branches can extend out about 10 + feet from the trunk. So if the trees are planted in the middle of the 12-15 foot area the branches when they get mature will extend to the drive. This can be controlled by pruning the branches back when needed.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator