Trees/spruce tree root systems

Question
Can the roots from Norway & Blue spruce cause damage to asphalt drives.  We have these trees planted between drives in our complex.  The trees range from 20 to 35 feet in height.  The drives are spaced 12 - 15 feet apart.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Answer
From what I understand your description -- You should not have any problems with this tree from the root. They have  a tap root and the other roots that spread out are fibrous and do not cause problems. You may have a problem with the limbs . This tree has a spread width of 10-20 feet meaning the branches can extend out about 10 + feet from the trunk. So if the trees are planted in the middle of the 12-15 foot area the branches when they get mature will extend to the drive. This can be controlled by pruning the branches back when needed.  

Trees

Jim Hyland