Trees/Slug-like "worm" in knothole

Question
I have a 60+ year old Crepe Myrtle in my yard that has some sluglike "creatures"  eating away in an existing knothole.  I have tried various treatments, snail/slug  killer, a pesticide, but I cannot kill them all.  I suspect they may be hatching further down in the rotting wood in the knothole and I cannot get to them.  Help!  This tree is one reason I bought this house and I don't want to lose it.

Answer
It may not be a slug (snail) but an insect larvae. I would spray the area with an insecticide--Merit or Onyx are good ones. Or you could use Orthene. These are systemic and will penetrate the bark and wood killing any insect there. I would also fertilize the tree with 10-10-10 fertilizer at the rate of 1 lb per inch of trunk diameter. Scatter it around the tree and water it in--apply just before a rain storm and you will not need to water. This will increase the health of the tree and ward off insects. Apply fertilizer now and again in the spring.  

Trees

Jim Hyland