Trees/Tree Identification

Short Leaf Pine
Short Leaf Pine  

Short Leaf Pine trunk
Short Leaf Pine trunk  
Please confirm whether or not this is a short leaf pine and if the dbh should be measured just under the first branch which is approx. 4.5ft above the ground.  The tree is located in middle Georgia.

Yes it is a shortleaf pine. The rules for measuring DBH (4 1/2 feet above the ground can vary. If you are using the DBH for a Champion tree ---"If the tree forks at or below 4 feet, record the smallest trunk circumference below the lowest fork. Record the height at which the measurement was taken. Trees should be considered separate if the circumference measurement below the lowest fork places the measurement on the ground"

Now IF you are determining the wood volume of the tree then measure each for as a separate "tree".
I hope this helps.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator