Trees/Fat Albert Spruce

My spruce is about 8 years old. Now the center is losing almost all of it's needles. The very top is almost naked. Do I need to fertlize or lime this tree. Please help fast.....was planted the year my mother died !!! The tree is planted in the upstate of South Carolina.cau

It could be environmental or a disease but from what you have said I can not determine the cause. I would suggest that you call the SC forestry Commission and ask their Pest Management Specialist if they could come take a look. Her name is Laurie Reid. Here is her contact web link. Call her and see if she could come take a look. You can use my name--I retired from a sister state Pest Management specialist position. I think it will take an on the ground look to ID your problem.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator