Trees/Old Oak Tree stump

In 2011 I had to have a heavily decaded 350 year old Oak Tree feld as it was decreed dangerous.  Since then I have carved the 1.5 meter high stump into a childrens castle.  Unfortunately furing this winter a fungus has gown all over the tree stump.  Can I spray it with something to remove the fingus?  My kids are gutted!  Thank you, James

The fungi are in the woody part of the tree stump. What you are seeing is the fruiting part of the fungi. These decay fungi will over time rot the stump away. You can slow this process down quite a bit by spraying the stump with a mixture of 1 part bleach and 3 parts water. This will kill the spores on or near the surface. It will not kill the fungi deep in the wood. About the best you can do is slow it down.It would help if you cut the layer with he fungi showing off and then treat with the bleach mixture.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator