Your site is very interesting, but I keep seeing references to zones with no explanation as to how to determine what zone i'm in.  Am i missing that somehow?????    Thanks   Pat

Plant hardiness zones were established by the USDA to help us correctly plant the right plants in the right climates. The zone map was created to illustrate plant hardiness based on the weather year round including factors such as average low temperatures and special climate areas like the Great Lakes region. While not a hard and fast rule, planting outside of the recommended zone for a specific plant exposes you to a much higher chance of failure. For instance, a tree or shrub grown outside of its recommended zone may bud out too early for your area. If the early bud break is followed by a frost or too low of a temperature, this could damage the plant and even cause it to perish.
Please keep in mind that planting your seedling in the correct zone does not ensure its survival. Other factors such as soil type, moisture, drainage, humidity, and exposure to sun and wind can have a direct effect on the survival of your tree or shrub.
Here is a web link to this map and you can find the zone for your state.

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator