Trees/GROUND AFTER TREE REMOVAL

Question
I JUST HAD MANY TREES REMOVED FROM MY BACK YARD. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TREES THEY WERE, BUT THERE WERE DIFFERENT TYPES. THE GROUND IS ALL STUMPS AND VERY VINEY AND ROOTY, THE ROOTS ARE ALL OVER. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING I CAN PLANT WHICH IS MAINTENENCE FREE AND WOULD SPRED. I AM HANDICAPPED AND CAN'T DO TO MUCH. THX, JAN

Answer
Periwinkle
Periwinkle  

Pacasandra
Pacasandra  
Thanks for the question Jan,

The two plants which come to mind that fit into your category nicely are pacasandra (Pachysandra terminalis) and Periwinkle (Vinca minor). Both of these plants are extremely well adapted to most parts of New Jersey and are widely grown in the region.  In order to achieve the best results I would recommend buying several flats of rotted pacasandra or periwinkle from your local garden center and pay a landscaper or to have it planted in the area you want to cover.  

Both of these plants are quite adaptable to full sun or full shade (although full shade will diminish flowering).  Beware though that both of these plants can be very aggressive once established and can eventually creep in lawn if not kept at bay.

The situation you described is a little troubling though because you mentioned vines growing in the area. I would highly recommend removing the vines as much as possible before planting your ground cover. The Northeast is plagued by several noxious invasive vines from South East Asia including: Asiatic Bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus), Mile-a-Minute Vine (Persicaria perfoliata), and even Kudzu vine(Pueraria lobata). The vines you might be describing might also be our native vines including: poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) or Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia). The two native vines can also be troublesome if allowed to take over an area.

I've attached a couple pictures of the pacasandra and periwinkle also.

Good luck to you!

James

Trees

James Parker