Trees/Aspen tree suckers

Should I cut these out or just leave them.  There are about 10 of them surrounding my adult tree.  I also have a few dead limbs on the adult tree.  I tried to prune them, but It goes into green wood, and should I just let them stay until the wind kicks them off, or cut them?
Thank you,

It is really difficult to control aspen shoots that develop on aspen roots.  When they're little you can keep them mowed off in the lawn.  In beds you can try to pull them or snip them off when they're little.  Herbicides should not be used because they can travel through the roots and harm the parent tree.  There is a product called Sucker Stopper that may help. This is made from the plant growth regulator napthaleneacetate (NAA). And is used to stop the plant from putting out suckers of new growth. Here is additional information on this product --check with your local nursery type store.

Aspens tend to bleed if done in the winter or early spring. Pruning cuts should be made just outside the branch collar. The branch collar contains trunk or parent branch tissue and should not be damaged or removed. If trunk collar has grown out on a dead limb to be removed, make the cut just beyond the collar. Do not cut the collar.

If a large limb is to be removed, its weight should first be reduced. This is done by making an undercut about 12-18 inches from the limb's point of attachment. A second cut is made from the top, directly above or a few inches further out on the limb. This removes the limb leaving the 12-18 inch stub. The stub is removed by cutting back to the branch collar. This technique reduces the possibility of tearing the bark.

Dead branches that have a collar of live wood should be cut just beyond the outer edge of the collar.
Do not use pruning wound paint this will slow down the healing process.  

Jim Hyland

I am an expert in Forestry, Forest Entomology, Forest Pest Control, and Forest Health. Extensive knowledge in Identification of insects and diseases of trees. Expert on Bark beetles and other insects that attack forests. Also a Registrated Forester with extensive knowledge in the management and care of forests.

34 years as State Pest Management Chief in a Southern state. Extensive knowledge in Forestry.

BS with major in Forest Management and Entomology
Registered Forester
Certified Pesticide Appicator