Trees/Fence damaging tree branch

Injured tree limb
Injured tree limb  
I have a 20'tree where the fence next to it is cutting into 1/8" of the 4" diameter branch.  I could cut the 6" wide plank from the fence to accommodate the branch.  I don't know what care the branch would need afterwards.  Otherwise, if I cut the branch the tree will be lopsided (see illustrations), leaving a half dome crown. Since the stem of the tree is about 10" from the fence, I don't think I can prop the limb higher than the fence.  The branch forks out to three smaller branches that extend about 8' beyond the fence.  What would you suggest to handle this fence cutting into tree issue?

Hi Carl,

What species of tree is it?  By the sketch and description it is clearly a deciduous tree of some kind.  

The reason I am asking is to attempt to formulate what options we have.   Also what is diameter of stem where the branch/limb makes the attachment to stem?  

Robin Wells

Most of my experience is in urban forestry and landscape environment. Questions related to tree identification, tree diseases or insect related problems, soil related issues or soil science, pruning techniques or practices, pesticide related questions, fertilization of trees or shrubs, tree support systems (cabling or bracing), tree planting, tree watering needs or tree risk assessment/management, although insect related we also have a specific area dealing with the emerald ash borer.

30 years work in urban forestry. Bachelor degree in forestry. ISA Certified Arborist. ISA Certified Tree Risk Assessor. Consulting Arborist. Ontario licensed pesticide applicator.

ISA Intrenational ISA Ontario Ontario Commercial Arborist Association Tree Care Industry Association American Society of Consulting Arborists

Midland Mirror ( newspaper )

Bachelor degree in forestry. Many other post university seminars and courses in Aboriculture.

Various commercial, residential, municipal, real estate and legal clients. Typically do not list the names.